Sunday, 26 September 2010

Mainland Singapore Last Kampong

There have been quite some talks about the Singapore Mainland Last Kampong recently. In newspaper, in forums as well as web blogs. So, I told myself, why not take a visit to that last Kampong since it is located 10mins drive away from where I stay, it is located at Lorong Buangkok.

When I reached the place at about 3.30pm, to my surprise, on top of those cricket and insect chipping, there is another louder sound. A woman was singing the karaoke. Those 1970s mandarin song.

While walking, I can smell the hot afternoon mud smell (土香味) and the road in is a little muddy. Well, what do I expect from a kampong right. I also saw a group of middle-age artists hiding under shade of tree and doing their best to capture the last mainland kampong. Sorry, I am quicker, I use my Omnia to capture it but yours will be more meaningful. Haha...

Here are a couple of pictures for your viewing.
This is the main road leading to the little kampong of about 20 houses.

A zinc roof house with the overhead power cable leading to the house.

Tapioca planted right in front of the house.

Hibiscus and the letter box

Nice foot path with coconut tree. Really hard to find this in mainland but lot of similar footpath in Pulau Ubin.

No comments: