Tuesday, 20 July 2010

fire-cracker 鞭炮

i remember vaguely that when I were young, about 8 years old, I were still staying in those old attap house in a village. During Chinese New Year, we were still allowed to set off fire cracker. There were this one time when we were playing it. After the whole roll of cracker were set off, everything went quiet. After few minutes later, I were picking up one of those blind cracker (those that did not explored) and out of sudden, it explored in my hand. It was damn painful and I could fell the burning sensation, even now when I talked about it, I could still remember the pain. Anyway, fire cracker was banned in Singapore in early 1970 due to fire hazard particular attap houses.

Staying in China the last 2 years, I get to see or hear fire cracker very frequently after more than 30 years. The Chinese set off fire cracker whenever there are happy events occurred, such as marry, give birth, opening ceremony and many more. During the Chinese New Year in China, you get to see so many particular the eve as well as the 15th day. The best part is it is inexpensive. A roll such as this cost about 40rmb.

Keith posing with the roll of 5m long fire cracker.

No comments: